Wednesday, April 29, 2009

I want to know Wednesday

For the last few Wednesdays on the DinoMights blog I've been asking a series of questions about things that I want to know--some serious things, some not so serious. We call it, "I want to know Wednesday." So I have a few things I want to know today. If you know the answer or you have things you want to know too, post your Questions and Answers on the comments.

1) I still want to know who to root for in the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

One of my teams, The Sharks, are out. Shocking! However, the Canucks and Willie Mitchell are still in. I am still rooting for Willie to get his chance to raise the Cup. On the other hand, there really are a lot of likable teams left. In addition to Vancouver, Chicago, Boston and Washington have not won the championship in my lifetime. I enjoy the "youth movement" in Pittsburgh and the DinoMights got to skate at Joe Louis Arena home of the Detroit Red Wings last winter.

Sandy and Layana pose under the banners in Joe Louis Arena, home of the defending Stanley Cup Champs, Detroit Red Wings

So I can be happy for almost any of the teams left. The only team I'm not rooting for is the Anaheim Mighty Ducks. Originally the Mighty Ducks were a diverse bunch of rag tag kids playing hockey in South Minneapolis with Emilio Estevez as their coach. They played at Powderhorn Park and Eliot Park in the Phillips neighborhood (neither of which even have hockey rinks anymore); they played at Augsburg Arena and Parade Ice Gardens too. They had to overcome great odds and socio-economic challenges to become the PeeWee champs. Sound familiar? Then they took our idea, moved it to Southern California (where there are no outdoor rinks as well), changed the team colors, knocked out the Wild in the first round two years ago and now they beat the Sharks, whom I had previously decided to cheer for this year.
(No offense to any Ducks fans. I'm just having fun with the playoffs).

At any rate, if you have suggestions for which team should have my loyalties going forward leave your comments, and if you are an NHL fan let me know who you are supporting on this weeks new Poll.

2) I want to know why people in Minnesota say, "I don't know why I live here," in the middle of the winter.

I know why I live here when it comes to the weather. For example, yesterday the temperature was in the mid 60's Farenheit most of the day, and the sun was shining. Here's what's great about weather like that: you can do whatever you want!
a) Clothes: You can wear warm clothes or cool clothes. You can wear your short sleeve DinoMights shirt or your long sleeve DinoMights shirt. You can actually wear your DinoMights hooded sweatshirt AND Shorts at the same time.
b) Activities: You can go out and enjoy the weather or you can stay in if you feel it is too cold. For example, you can be inside an ice rink teaching first graders to ice skate and not feel bad that you weren't outside. Then in the same day you can play recreational Soft Ball outside with fellow DinoMights volunteers, alumni, and parents (Kelsey, Rich, Leah, Al, Cindy and John). Not to mention current DinoMight fan base of Gabby and Tekle.
c) Food: When it is as nice as it was yesterday you can cook comfort food in the Crock Pot or you can cook outside over a fire wearing your DinoMights hooded sweatshirt and shorts.

If anything it is too hot here. We're supposed to be closer to the North Pole than the equator, it should be cold. It gets just as hot here in the summer as it does in Anaheim, California where there are absolutely no outdoor rinks.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

great post....I liked yesterday's as well.

Harvey said...

1) Since the Thrashers aren't in it, I'm not interested.

2) Actually, since the 45th parallel runs right through downtown, you can only make that claim if you live north of 394. Personally, I see the relatively low pollen levels up here, and the fun of driving in the snow as factors that balance out the severity and duration of winter temps.

Harvey said...

1) Since the Thrashers aren't in it, I'm not interested.

2) Actually, since the 45th parallel runs right through downtown, you can only make that claim (living closer to the North Pole than the equator) if you live north of 394. Personally, I see the relatively low pollen levels up here, and the fun of driving in the snow as factors that balance out the severity and duration of winter temps.

Harvey Birth said...

There's a marker for the 45th parallel at the south end of the Hennepin Ave bridge. So actually, Olson Memorial Highway (55) is a lot closer to that latitude than 394, but both do form a corridor within which one finds golf courses, industrial parks, and some more modern residential areas.